Here ther be language.

warning: blogger is not responsible for rendering the reader into a state of indignation, admiration, or confustication. wander through all xeno-, logo-, and gastrophilic content at your own risk.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Oxford (the other one).

Well, it's been awhile, at the very least a week. What can I say, I've been busy. I also haven't had internet access on mon ordinateur for the past few days, so that didn't help.

I am currently sitting in a pub/hostel, drinking the best pint of Guinness I've ever had. It's like we were made for each other. I could really go on about this beer, which is kind of surprising given my usual disdain for Guinness. But I'm gonna stop and talk about the pizza (which just arrived). It's huge. It's so big. I'm hungry, but I don't know how I'm gonna finish it. brb.

Nom. Vive le stéréotype. This pizza is giving Mello Mushroom a run for it's money. I chose this hostel almost at random, too. It's a good deal (internet, breakfast, locker). I got here in London via bus from Oxford. That's where I spent the majority of my day. Woke up before dawn was even in the works to take a 5am train to Oxford. Got there, stowed my bag at a hostel, and hit the streets. It was a pretty dreary day. Rain, clouds, wind. Still, it was a lot of fun.

I took a walking tour at around 10:45. I am certain that I was the youngest one in the group. It's was really touristy, and I wasn't crazy about everything we visited, but it was still good. I learned a lot I wouldn't have known otherwise. I'll make sure to post some pics to facebook (with labels) to show you firsthand. NB: for all you stalkers (I'm talking to you North Korea), you'll have to friend me see the photos (is ther FB in NK?). Oh well.

Going to Oxford was a bit like a pilgrimage for me. And I'm not just talking about Tolkien (or Lewis). Oxford represents the foundation of education in the English-speaking world. It's kind of a big deal. Lots of writers, scientists, politicians, and actors attended colleges in Oxford. That part was a bit weird: Oxford University is comprised of 30 odd independent colleges who are often in competition with each others for the best students. Not really something you would intentionally plan, given the option.

Just to list a few of the places I visited (you can wiki them if you want a lot of info):

Jesus college (on the tour): dining hall was pretty neat (see pictures)
Exeter college: where Tolkien went to school
Merton college: where he taught
Christ College: big literary history and it's the biggest or oldest or something
Wolvercote Cemetery: Tolkien and Edith's graves
The Eagle and Child: local watering hole frequented by the Inklings (I got some terrific beef and ale pie)
The Bodleian library: old books. reaaally old. I think I'd give five years of my life to be let alone in there. interesting pre-reformation architecture and motifs, too.

That's all I got for now. I might post again after I turn some homework in next week. I haven't forgotten Wales. On the contrary: le français est bien ma langue de metiers, mais le gallois est celle de l'amour.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to most of those places! Loved the Eagle and Child... might have got a bit tipsy in the very seats that Tolkien and Lewis spent time talking about their latest literary ventures.

    I also got to go into a Theology Library in Jesus College. Even students aren't allowed in. They have some of the oldest theological texts in the world there and they have the great big leather chairs that you go and sit in and then you order a book to look at and the librarian brings it to you, holds it in front of you and turns the pages for you.

    Oxford is amazing :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete