Here ther be language.

warning: blogger is not responsible for rendering the reader into a state of indignation, admiration, or confustication. wander through all xeno-, logo-, and gastrophilic content at your own risk.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

First. Also, first in France. This isn't a coincidence. I don't believe in those.

This past Monday marked my entry into France. This is my story.

But this isn't artsy, so don't go jumping to conclusions. I'm just scatterbrained right now. I'm still adjusting to the time zone. They call that décalage in French.

Warning. There will be other french words in this post. They are in bold for your viewing pleasure. Dictionaries are fun. Voilà.

I don't really like going into details about travel. I hate flying.  It's fairly monotonous. When reflecting, I always remember the waiting, the lines, the confusion.

There was a beautiful sunrise though, viewed over the shoulder of my seatmate.

And for once, I wasn't seated next to a baby. High school girls with an insatiable need to journal at 3AM were a welcome relief.

I like trains. The train ride from Paris to Angers was my favorite part. There's so much more to see. Farms. Vineyards. French rednecks. The countryside was pretty wet. Several rivers were flooded.

There was a bum at the railway station in Angers. I was waiting on my ride, and I made an easy target. He followed me around the gare. Yelling irlandais, irlandais. I wanted to tell him he was right, but I figured he'd want a euro for it. 

My room here on rue Edgar Degas is pretty comfy. I have a bed, a chifferobe (again, dictionary, but this one has made into English), and a desk. I have since eaten two meals (exclusing breakfast. let's be honest, that's not really a meal. toast is toast. but it was better.) with my host-mom.

I call her mom for short. I'm sure there's more than one person who will find that disturbing, and at least one person who'll be a tad put off.

More about my university and doings there later.

5 comments:

  1. I very much like the name of your blog Trey. Lovely. Great first post too - even if you are feeling un peu off what with the time zones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dictionaries are (stressed 'are') fun! Even Middle French ones. And Trey, you are more than a French adverb. You're also "three" in Albanian, though I very much doubt the r's are the same. (Source: www.zompist.com/euro.htm)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. And Blake, I'm ok with being three. I think that was the idea in the first place.

    Kyle: The word I had in mind is 'croquant', although it also means 'crunchy' or 'crouton'. I think I heard it in some song. But I also found 'péquenot' (pek-no).

    Regardless, if you have a bathtub on your front porch... well, it seems we're not so different after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we need an address!

    we're going to miss you, but i guess neat french post cards will suffice.
    =)
    sorry we couldn't see you before you left, and the snow fiasco and all that. but we'll be keeping in touch!
    the blog looks great. good idea!

    ReplyDelete