Here ther be language.

warning: blogger is not responsible for rendering the reader into a state of indignation, admiration, or confustication. wander through all xeno-, logo-, and gastrophilic content at your own risk.

Monday, January 24, 2011

I've got nothing.

Well, quelle semaine. I've almost made it an entire week since last posting.

My rendez-vous with the director of my department was unabashedly rude and unapologetically confusing. There was talk of mutiny, but after that first guy was verbally disemboweled, our courage was decimated, our hopes shattered. I'm making the best of it though. I've managed to wriggle into a class of Old French. I don't know if I'm going to appreciate that come the end of the semester, but doubtless I'll learn something useful.

Classes are going well. The grand majority of my time is spent in the library, studying before, in between, and after classes. Imagine my horror when I heard I could only check out five livres at a time. She very nearly throttled me when I told her I checked out nigh on forty last semester. However, with the help of one Ally Watkins, I made it to one of the city libraries on Saturday, where I proceeded to check out several more books.

I then went to le Muséum des Sciences Naturelles. Very fun. It was split into two different sections, one on nature(?)(the living kind), the other on prehistory. The first was pretty neat. It put a lot of emphasis on the surrounding Anjou region, with specific references to the flora and fauna around the rivers. The 'county' I live in, Maine-et-Loire, is situated around two major rivers that lend their names to the region. Very neat. Good vocabulary builder. The prehistoric exhibit was also interesting, though it was easy to get lost in the details. Lots of fossils of stuff that swam in the ocean. A few interesting notes about the mining history of the regions. A few skeletons, a few skulls, and fairly large nugget of gold.

The evening proved entertaining. My host family was again celebrating the birthday of their youngest daughter, this time with extended family. Luckily, I got invited. There were about ten or so people who showed up, making it a rather large crowd. It was a bit intimidating at first, but after a couple of glasses of champagne and speaking with a septuagenarian about her theatre days, it turned out to be a rather fun evening. Pâté, lasagna, cheese, salad, galette, and fruit. Quite a meal. The best part? I was seated next to Lancelot. His brother, Tristan, was a few seats away. Very cool names.

Nothing much to report now but school.

2 comments:

  1. Surely there was an Isolde somewhere around as well, n'est-ce pas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would have been a little weird. Like naming your kids Romeo and Juliet.

    ReplyDelete