Here ther be language.

warning: blogger is not responsible for rendering the reader into a state of indignation, admiration, or confustication. wander through all xeno-, logo-, and gastrophilic content at your own risk.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Window Licking

And it tasted terrible. Worst yet in France. Except for the Bag(uette) Mac. More about that below.

If you want to lecher les vitrines in France, now's the time to do it. My mom informed me that the soldes is going on right now. Basically, it's their Black Friday. Which means everybody's out and about. Not wanting to miss the action, I went to the mall.

To clarify further (for those of you who know well my shopping habits), I need a backpack. So I first went to a small supermarché. No dice. All I managed to do was scare a couple of kids, since my walk to the store took me past a school. I'm starting to think that no one in France grows a beard.

Eventually, my mom got me a backpack. It looks like something a 4 year old might wear, and that's no exaggeration. Everything's small here, except for the stupid paper, which is 2 inches longer than our sort. Again, le sigh.

I went out again this morning (Saturday) to see what I could. The weather is rather pleasant, if a little cooler than it has been. I've noticed that I'm the only one on the street who's not wearing a coat. I've also noticed (when it's wet) that I'm the only one who wears a brightly colored rain jacket. It's light blue. It goes well with my cheveux. The French prefer black, grey, and off-white. It's like the fifties here.

Anyway, today I did a bit of flânerie. No, I did not eat dessert at a Mexican restau. I did, however, wander around for a bit in the city center. There's plenty to see. Angers is a pretty big city. There's tons of shops, restaurants, and cathedrals. Lots of cathedrals. There's also a fair few museums and, of course, the château.

I found a bar called Le Welsh. Sounds like my kind of place. Alas, it was closed. I also found a large market en plein air, selling everything from pastries to knickknacks, with some flowers as well. Pretty fun. My best find was the rue with all the bouqinistes. That will be revisited. My lunch wasn't so great. I thought I was getting what would amount to be a philly steak and cheese. It amounted to the contents of a bigmac in a baguette. Oh, and fries. In the baguette. Yrch.

My return home was timed well. My host family, who are now all here for the weekend, was celebrating the birthday of the youngest daughter, with several friends from her dance school. I got galette and café, and got to tune in to a little français ado(lescente), which, contrary to what I thought I had heard (français à dos), is not someone speaking behind you.

The party is now ended, and while I sit and write this blog post, the girls are downstairs playing the WiiFit. I have to draw the line somewhere.

3 comments:

  1. Was that sandwich an american? (sorry on parents' computer and don't know how to do accent marks). I love getting fries in my kebab though!

    Okay next, love the francais a do thing. One time my host family was talking about jus de l'eau, and I was confused about what that was until they told me it was an actor from Blueberry Nights. I kid you not. Not quite the same thing but a funny misunderstanding nonetheless, although I feel that problem was on them!

    Your blog is awesome. Very funny. Don't get lazy on us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was. Specifically, l'americain frites. Fries in kebab would be fine. I mean, c'mon it's kebab.

    Haha! Jude Law. It's like when my mom was explaining a feve she got in cake once: Ronal Wizli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude you don't like the americain? those are awesome.
    And no, no one in france has a beard. My friend from niagara got called le barbu the entire semester.
    over by the house of adam, there's a bar called the kent or something like that, you'd enjoy that as well.

    Visit rue Bressigny yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete